Thomas in Dom. Rep.

Hola Amigos, 
as you all know Thomas and I mentioned on our previous post called "We meet, we fall in love, we get married", it was after seven weeks we first met that thomas visited for first time the Dominican Republic, my home country. Normally, I had it plan to go home before I met him. As smart as he is, Thomas asked me if he could come with me and to be honest I was not sure, therefore, I asked my family who totally support him that i would be crazy to not allow him now. For me it was too soon, but my family pushed me to let him and do as he felt. They said it is a good sign when a man is willing to meet your family. Signs of a serious and familiar man looking for real commitment and compromise.

The time to come to Dom. Rep. arrived, which was also the first time of Thomas at the American continent, as also our first trip together by plane. Before getting to Dominican Republic, we made a one night stop in Washington D.C. for him to meet one of sister and her husband, whom lived there. In just that short time we had there we made a very fast tour day & night around D.C. highlights. We had family breakfast with them, we tried the best burger in town, and took some family picture for memories all around the city until we were left at the airport to keep our journey.
Upon our arrival in Santo Domingo International airport, the Capital of Dominican Republic, my older sister, her husband, her six years old son and my mom came for us at the airport. As always when I arrive I request to things, my nephew to pick me up and a "BIG XL cup of real and natural Lemon Juice", there I had both. The funniest happened right when we arrived, driving from the airport to home between Thomas and my Nephew. Thomas speaks no Spanish, and my nephew speaks no English. Gabriel or "Gugu“, as we nicknamed him, tried to communicate with Thomas, but communication did not succeeded. For a six years old kid it was not understandable why he had an Uncle that speaks Spanish and another which not - a question he made to us on the car - we explained him that sadly where uncle Thomas comes people speaks no spanish. He was 6 years old by that moment and had not yet flight on planes, but he could understand that two of his Titis lived somewhere not in Dom. Rep. as they were always taken to the airport to leave on a plane. On the car, Gugu keep trying to communicate with Thomas by signing, by making him repeat words back to him in Spanish - I guess he though Thomas would learn by repeating - but for more than he tried the communication they only had on this whole trip was playing and bothering each other, laughing, watching TV, sharing on a table, pool or having ice cream.

Concentrating a bit on Thomas first impressions in the Dominican Republic, he experienced that we Dominicans are very noise, too friendly and so happy like when we first see our family walking out of migrations, the people are like jumping, hugging and screaming around to their loves ones who arrived. Then when you start walking out the airport, right before the glass electrical door open to the street a huge-warm slap right in our face from the heat of the street, as so the heaviness of the contaminated air - not like Germany which feels so different and less contaminated. Surely, he loves the Agendas Las Americas, right when you leave the airport, that amazon drive though the shores of the island where you can appreciate the palms and the Caribbean blue open ocean. However, when you head to the city the view changes and the experiences can be different, there is when Thomas learned that no matter what but there are a lot of cars everywhere, cars do not drive exactly on their lines, they jump to one another, they use the horns as much as possible, loud and stoppable. He saw how Dominicans quiet often do not respect the own traffic even they are just few, that the light after midnight are not respected for secureness of drivers to not be robbed and most important, there is  NO TRAFFIC PICK TIME. While you are in the city traffic jams are as much as how you should drink water, at all time. Last but not least, we Dominicans are not like Europeans in the sense of not drinking and then drive out or home, all the way around, we can drink and then we go out - drive home. Surely, he loved many of this things, the traffic, I am sure that's what he hated the most.

While in DR, I did my best to show Thomas the reality of my life, I didn't want him to see Luxury stuff, when Luxury was not me, so I dedicated this trip, to show him my way of living, how my Dominican life there was. Like were I was working that moment, the places I liked to hang out at nights, where I grow up going to make sports and share with people, as in DR there are Social Clubs and in my case I am member of Casa de Espana. 

We also made some tours around the island as any other tourist, such as: to "The 27 Jumps of Damajagua" - Thomas favourite - to the "Salto el Limon" cascades, Laguna Gri Gri, coast and beaches views. We went to some beaches like Cabarete in Puerto Plata, Las Terrenas in Samana, Maria Trinidad Sanchez Coast. We did all these our own way, to enjoy the country and relax where-ever we wanted, not planned and spontaneous. I personally think, this trip allow us to connect even more, as we had time to relax and speak more about us and our future, we could enjoy ourselves in a different way, as we were still getting to know each other every day a bit more, and of course as always we took a lot of picture everywhere we were.

Thomas also tried Dominican typical food like: Mofongo, yuca, pastelon, asopao, our Food flag "Rice, beans and chicken". He tried our Dominican Rum, coconut water, and all type of natural juice always on the fridge of my house made from my mom - mango, lemon, passion fruit, papaya milkshakes, and more. 

Later on, I introduce Thomas in a slowly but fast way to my group of friends for life just when we were in DR.  So, here is another big thing, NO ONE NEW ABOUT US! - As our relationship was too fast, and this is not something so common in my culture, and there are many people who likes to speak about you, we decided to keep this relationship for the two of us and my sister, his brother and our moms. Even his friends knew about my existence, mines did not, as I knew it would be maybe harder for mines too understand this, as some of them are also quite protective, as my past relationships were difficult. In this trip, I introduce Thomas to the people who really touched my heart, because I had no interest of involucrate everyone on it, just who deserved to meet him. I learned din life how important was to keep our personal live mostly for you, as my interest was to take care and to make sure this relationship was for us.

Therefore, here comes another important fact in what happened in our relationship. Thomas was so secure, so much into loving, & caring about me, while I was panicking around feeling insecure - not because of him, but me. I didn't know which were really my feeling, because as I mention on a previous post of us, when we met I was passing through harsh moments of my life and it was another reason for me to shut it up. I asked Thomas I would need longer time to assimilate stuff, and to really open to someone else, to have patient with me. Thomas was a total gentleman, he respected me & understood why I couldn't be so lovely, but somehow cold with him at our very first 3 months. I was neither mean, but It really took me a while to assimilate what was happening with me.
Life has reached me that chances come only once, and the reason why I couldn't miss this one, was because I could see that Thomas had all, and was 100% what I deserved and wanted for me. Like I mention on our previous post I knew what I wanted, or who I wanted to stand next to me since I was 16 years old, and my life was a constant fight on finding all those things I wanted to achieved and have one day. So even with my in-secureness, with all my scares I jumped to try thing with him, because deep inside me I know who Thomas was, as he showed me since the very first beginning his entire world and how serious he was about us.
However, I couldn't say I love you, as I was not yet feeling it on the way he was. I heard thousands of them and just tiny pauses with smiles on reward. For instance, I am sure Thomas could see I was into getting to know him better, into familiar matters, looking to connect them, as for me it was very important. To be honest, he knew that inside me things were starting to happened, but I was too scared to show him or doing something wrong that it took me longer time than he may expected. Thomas was feeling all of these, so he tried to calm me be telling me not to worry about it, because he knew I was the one for him, and he would wait for me. 

Dear Reader, 
We would later on the future add a show slide video of what exactly was this trip to Dom. Rep. so you guys can also have a look of what we did around, so by now, Thomas and I are curious to hear about you. Have you been in the Dominican Republic? If so, please let us know on the comments section about your experience in my home Country.

Comments